The Free City of HavenThe Free City of Haven is a supplement published by Gamelords in 1981 for the fantasy role-playing game Thieves' Guildâ â â â â âFree City of LÃ¼beckThe Free and Hanseatic City of Lbeck (German: Freie und Hansestadt Lbeck, Danish: Lybk) was a city-state from 1226 to 1937, in what is now the German states of Schleswig-Holstein and Mecklenburg-Vorpommernâ â â â â âActivities in the Free City of DanzigBetween 1933 and 1934, Komorowski was the only Polish member of the 54-person City Council of the city. He ran in the 1933 election to the Popular Assembly (Volkstag), but lost. For a few weeks in 1935, Komorowski served in the Assembly, for Erazm Czarnecki, who had temporarily left Danzig, after that, he ran in the 7 April 1935 election, losing again. Later on, he founded Gmina Polska Association of Poles, and was a very active member of the Polish community. On 10 October 1937, the Bishop of Danzig, Edward O'Rourke, nominated Komorowski to the post of a parish priest of the so-called personal parishes, which served Polish minority of the city. However, under pressure of Danzig's national socialists, O'Rourke's decision was cancelled by the authorities of the Free City of Danzig. As a result, the Bishop resigned from his post, and was replaced by Karol Maria Splett, who did not give permission to create Polish personal parishes. Father Komorowski, who also served Polish students in Danzig, supported and protected them on several occasions. On 25th anniversary of his service, 2 April 1939, a special mass took place in St. Stanislaus Church, which turned into a patriotic demonstration. Among the faithful, there was General Commissioner of Poland in Danzig, Marian Chodacki.â â â â â âFree city (classical antiquity)A free city (Latin: civitas libera, urbs liberae condicionis; Greek: á¼Î»ÎµÏ
Î¸ÎÏÎ± ÎºÎ±á½¶ Î±á½ÏÏÎ½Î¿Î¼Î¿Ï ÏÏÎ»Î¹Ï) was a self-governed city during the Hellenistic and Roman Imperial eras. The status was given by the king or emperor, who nevertheless supervised the city's affairs through his epistates or curator (Greek: epimeletes) respectively. Several autonomous cities had also the right to issue civic coinage bearing the name of the city. Examples of free cities include Amphipolis, which after 357 BC remained permanently a free and autonomous city inside the Macedonian kingdom; and probably also Cassandreia and Philippi. Under Seleucid rule, numerous cities enjoyed autonomy and issued coins; some of them, like Seleucia and Tarsus continued to be free cities, even after the Roman conquest by Pompey. Nicopolis was also constituted a free city by Augustus, its founder. Thessalonica after the battle of Philippi, was made a free city in 42 BC, when it had sided with the victors. Athens, a free city with its own laws, appealed to Hadrian to devise new laws which he modelled on those given by Draco and Solon. Autonomi or rather Autonomoi was the name given by the Greeks to those states which were governed by their own laws, and were not subject to any foreign power. This name was also given to those cities subject to the Romans, which were permitted to enjoy their own laws, and elect their own magistrates. This permission was regarded as a great privilege, and mark of honour; and it is accordingly found recorded on coins and medals (e.g. Metropolis of the Antiochians autonomous).â â â â â âFree City of KrakÃ³wIn 1815 the Free City of Krakw had a population of 95,000, of whom 23,000 were actually in Krakw, the remainder in the surrounding area. Under the constitution that it had been given the city was responsible for the post. A central post office was already in existence, from the period when Krakw was part of the Duchy of Warsaw. On 1 June 1816 the Post Office of the Free City of Krakw took control of the existing central post office. Its staff consisted of a director, four secretarial staff, two postmen and a conductor. Two post stations were established in Kreszkowice and Cla. Post routes to and from each of the three Polish areas, Galicia, Congress Poland and Prussia were soon established. Under the constitution the Free City had the exclusive right to private mail. The three powers could only transport official mail. However, on 1 December 1816 the Prussian Government set up a post office and a mail delivery from Krakw to Prussia. Despite protests from the Free City the Prussians continued. On 16 May 1818 the Austrians followed suit, set up a post office and a mail delivery to Galicia. In the first full financial year, 1816/17, the Krakw post office had a profit of 18,887 zoty. By 1822/23, because of the competition, this had reduced to 2,802 zoty, despite the increase in population and increase in traffic. The delivery of letters was undertaken by two postmen, they collected 4 groszy for each letter delivered or 8 groszy if it was a money letter. In 1825 these fees were reduced by half. In the year 1833/4 the Krakw post office dealt with a total of 66,910 letters, an average of 185 per day. In December 1834 the senate of the Free City of Krakw received a notice from Congress Poland that they would be setting up a post office in Krakw. Protests brought no result. In August 1836 the Free City of Krakw came to an agreement with Congress Poland to cease operating their own post office and to rent their post office building to them from 1837. In return Krakw was to receive an annual fee of 12,000 zoty. The Prussian post office used three different date stamps (1) a two line handstamp, (2) a two ring cancel and (3) a single ring cancel - all with KRAKAU and the date. The Austrian post office used a single line handstamp with the text CRACAU. The Congress Poland post office used two datestamps one with a single outer ring and one with a double outer ring with text KRAKW.